From an early age, René was inspired to tell stories in song.
Learning and mastering new instruments is a life long obsession. Bass was his first love, however he quickly moved to guitar, allowing him to write music in a solo setting rather than rely on bands. Apart from the obvious instruments he loves the Armenian Duduk, the Indian Dholak and the Flute.
His songs bend more into the unusual. Trained in jazz by the late great Ike Isaacs , René’s compositions are rich in elements of fusion, soul, world music, jazz and blues.
The Sun’s Anvil (2016) and his earlier release Beautiful Mistake, are available on Apple Music or Spotify.
- Recent performances at The Triffid (March 2022) and Lefty’s Old Time Music Hall
- Over 1800 gigs (from 9-piece bands all through to duos and solo): on lead vocals while either playing bass, jazz guitar or piano – being a constant presence in the Sydney and Brisbane music scene
- Regular solo performances 3 years running at Woodford Folk Festival
- Tracks on the “fRETfEST – Best of 2009 and Best of 2010” CDs
- Live radio performance Kobe radio: Japan
- Solo performance at ½ time soccer match at Osaka Dome for the FIFA World Cup
- Played bass at the AMIA music awards with Kim Wilde
- Winner: Sydney Dance Latino 2004 – Composer & played all instruments on Hot Chilli & Cool Wine
- Winner: Composer for “Life Without Borders” Theme Song 2004.
His songs are a reflection of a life large in experience, living and performing in Japan, the Middle East and much of Australia. He tells everyday stories with a twist of humour. “Life would be a fine comedy if we weren’t such an integral part of it all.”.
Song-writer & Singer – Brisbane 90s Band CLAMBAKE